DP Squared Ltd was formed by Darren Paine in 2004. In that time we have worked on many interesting projects ranging from small domestic extensions to historic buildings that regenerate local communities to tall buildings that create diversity within our city centres.
Darren had worked for Ove Arup and Partners for 17 years and was involved in some of the UK’s and World’s most prestigious projects. Darren was principally based in Manchester but worked in Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Munich and Beijing. He has worked with a wide range of Architects on Projects ranging from:
- Foster and Partners Chek Lap Kok Airport Freight Terminal – a 300m x 150m five storey freight handling facility for what was then the new airport for Hong Kong.
- Arup Associates – City of Manchester Stadium – Concept design and full construction delivery of the 38,000 seat Common Wealth Games and subsequent football stadium for Manchester City Football Club.
- Herzog and de Meuron – Allianz Arena Munich – Developed the competition design and delivery of a new state of the art (of football) 66,000 capacity stadium for Bayern Munich
- Herzog and de Meuron – Birds Nest Stadium Beijing – Competition design of the main stadium for the 2008 Olympic Games including developing the structural roof/facade solution and presentation to the Chinese State Review Panel.
- Foster and Partners – FC Barcelona Design Competition – Engineering support to the Architectural design for the expansion of FC Barcelona’s stadium from 98,000 to 110,000 spectators.
In addition to the above Darren has worked on the structural design for projects with Nicholas Grimshaw and Partners (Manchester Airport), Allies and Morrison (Leeds Granary Wharf and One Piccadilly), , Allsop and Partners (Islington Wharf masterplan), and as DP Squared with OMI Architects (20 and 30 storey towers in Salford), Simpson Haugh (65, 50, 48 and 35 storey towers in Manchester), AFL Architects (Training facility in Azerbaijan), BAC Barcelona (Peer review of expansion of FC Barcelona revised stadium competition design).
DP Squared collects together a group of similarly talented individuals who relish the opportunity of challenging projects but have the background and experience in delivering major projects. We are not phased by the complexity of projects.
Our core skills are:
- Fully versed in the 3D structural modelling of buildings, whether long span structures such as bridges or stadium roof’s or tall buildings with extensive basements.
- Static and Dynamic analysis for long span or tall structures
- Interpretation of Wind Tunnel data for optimisation of structural form.
- 3D modelling for design drawings
- Structural design in Concrete, Steel and Timber to a range of UK, European and International codes
- Structural survey and repair of Historic and Listed Buildings
- Sympathetic repair and remodelling of existing buildings, from small domestic projects local to Hebden Bridge to Heritage structures that act as catalysts for local community groups
- Engineered sculptures for public display, whether indoor or outdoor.
- Stage structures for music festivals or large tours.